by Lydia E. Harris
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Mix liquid ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
3. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with wire whisk until blended. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Ask Mom or Dad to spray skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium.
5. Pour 1/4 cup pancake batter onto skillet for each 3- to 4-inch pancake.
6. Turn when pancakes bubble in the middle and are golden brown underneath. Cook on the other side.
7. Serve with butter and maple syrup.
This article first appeared in the April 2011 issue of Focus on the Family Clubhouse Jr. magazine. Copyright © 2011 by Lydia E. Harris. Used by permission. Photo © Lauri Patterson/istockphoto.com.