by Kathleen Gray-Ziegler
one neutral-colored piece of card stock (white, tan or yellow)
rubber stamp and ink
one brightly colored piece of card stock
7-inch piece of ribbon
1-inch magnet strip
1. Cut neutral card stock into a 4 1/2-by-2 1/2- inch rectangle.
2. Use rubber stamp and ink to decorate one side of the rectangle.
3. Gently bend the rectangle in half lengthwise and snip one slit 1-inch from the top and a second slit 1 1/2-inches from the top.
4. Cut a 3-by-1/2-inch rectangle from the bright card stock.
5. Weave this rectangle through the slits, making sure there is a loop on the front side. Put your pencil through the loop.
6. Securely tape the ends of the rectangle onto the backside of your rubber stamped rectangle. Set the pencil aside.
7. Cut brightly colored piece of card stock into a 5-by-3-inch rectangle.
8. Lay the smaller rectangle on top of the larger one and trim the top corners on a diagonal as shown.
9. Glue the two rectangles together. Let dry.
10. Punch a hole near the top center and tie a ribbon through the hole.
11. Peel off the back side of your sticky notepad and attach. Note: If pad is too heavy, glue in place. Slip your pencil through the loop.
12. Stick magnet strip to the back and give to your mom!
This article first appeared in the May 2006 issue of Focus on the Family Clubhouse Jr. magazine. Copyright © 2006 by Focus on the Family. Used by permission.