by Clubhouse Jr. staff
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
food coloring (optional)
1. Cream the butter, and slowly add sugar, beating until well-blended.
2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Blend in vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Slowly add sifted ingredients to creamy mixture. Blend well.
5. Cover bowl and chill for several hours or until firm. (If desired, you may separate dough into different batches and add a bit of food coloring to each batch for colorful cookies.)
6. Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters dipped in flour.
7. Bake on a cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
This article first appeared in the December 2010 issue of Focus on the Family Clubhouse Jr. magazine. Copyright © 2010 by Focus on the Family. Used by permission. Photo © Ron Nickel.